What to do in an emergency:
- Remain calm, use common sense, and give assistance as needed.
- Call 9-911 from within the University (or 434-924-2012) or 911 on cell or non-University phones.
- Evacuate buildings immediately upon request of authorities, upon hearing an alarm, or when remaining inside is dangerous or life-threatening.
- Know the location of at least two emergency exits close to your working/living areas.
- Students are reminded to contact their parents as soon as it is practical to do this, using a pre-arranged method of communication (e-mail or text messaging is recommended).
What NOT to do in an emergency:
- Do not use the telephone except to report the emergency situation.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not jeopardize your life or the lives of others by attempting to save personal or University property.
- Do not cross police barriers without authorization.
- Do not exceed your training or knowledge when attempting to render first aid.